Monday, May 22, 2006

"SHOULD WE SEARCH THE HEART OF GOD?"

THIS POST IS A RESPONSE COMMENT I MADE TO A FRIEND’S COMMENT THAT WAS MADE ON MY “RELIGION VS SCIENCE” POST OF SUNDAY, MAY 7TH. IT HAS SOME IDEAS I WANT TO SHARE WITH ALL THE “DOUBTING THOMASES” OUT THERE!……………

We were discussing man trying to understand God and wondered whether we should even attempt to understand Him in light of the Scripture that says, …”For My thought are not your thoughts, neither are My ways your ways.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) My personal thought is that we are created in God’s Image and therefore we SHOULD try to understand even though we will never know all. I base this on the following Scripture… 1 Corinthians 2:10 says..."But to us, God revealed them through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches ALL things, yes, the DEEP things of God.”.... (emphasis mine)

My friend shared the following Scripture suggesting maybe we should NOT seek the “higher” things of God………

Isaiah 6:10 ”Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed."

My posted comments follow……


Anyway, Isaiah 6:10 makes me suspect that Isaiah was definitely a “Scientist” at heart! It is especially obvious in the Hebrew Septuagint…he refers to the “heart” a lot…the “seat” of our EGO, sin, bias, prejudice etc. The Scientific Method…a true “Gift” from God given “in His Image”, if practiced CORRECTLY, is devoid of EGO, sin, bias and prejudice. This type of “Science” leads to Truth, NOT illusion and I honestly believe this is what Isaiah was referring to in “Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed." Sure sounds like “unbiased Science” to me! The Fundamental Christian groups I think are more about the “power” to “control” people than lead people to Truth. If I am wrong about that then they are the ones whose “hearts have become calloused” as Isaiah states. Either way I suspect they are NOT of God.

John 12:40-41 sounds like what God did to Pharaoh. God knows our hearts and He lets us choose to harden our hearts. (Law of Free Will) This refers to a person’s morality as well as his EGO. When a person is “born again” into the Christ “conscience” (possible only in accepting Christ’s Vicarious Death and Resurrection) they will be able to “turn …and I would heal them."

'The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light." (John 12:35) This I believe refers to EGO driven Science as well as those Fundamentalists who reject education, knowledge and tell us to “trust” our hearts only. Ugggh…. this is exactly what people who want to control other people want you to believe! I agree with you Buster! “Trust no one!”

For me the Scientific Method is one of God’s grandest “Gifts” to humanity and so many “trash” it today that I GROAN! Psalm 115, “Not To Us O Lord Not To Us But To Your Name Give Glory”…. says it all and my daily prayer for myself is Psalm 139:23-24…. “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try9 me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Personally…I think Fundamental Christianity is a lot like Fundamental Islam….”fear” driven for the purpose of “enslavement.” Jesus came to “Set the Captives FREE! “That’s us! Jesus spoke in “parables” and the Fundamentals accept that they are not necessarily to be “taken” latterly. If God Himself in the Incarnation of Christ spoke in this format…why do they INSIST God spoke literally in the past? I suspect this anti-evolution; anti-time issue of the 6 literal days has caused more humans to lose their relationship with God and His Christ more than any other single issue!
(the following Scripture is very revealing)
2 Peter 3:8… “But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”
Pax….Doubting Thomas